Cheap And Healthy Recipes For Students
For most college students, cooking is a challenging task to master. A great way to learn to cook is to start with a couple of simple and inexpensive recipes. There are few cheap yet healthy types of food that any college student can easily cook. To maintain a healthy diet while still in college is one of the best things a student can do for himself.
To make it through the year, every student needs to recognize few basic cooking tools. He should have his own pots for boiling water, frying pan, a set of cooking knives and cutting board, a grater, a strainer and spatulas. Learning to cook is an easy but essential life skill for any student.
So, for all the parents out there, a cookbook with a gift card to a grocery store inside is the easiest going-away gift for your college student. It provides him a way to experiment with cooking and buy the food he need for a variety of simple recipes. Example is:
Quick and Easy Hash Brown Recipe
Hash browns are best to serve up for breakfast. It can be done in fifteen to twenty minutes only, making it the perfect meal to make before class in the morning. They make a healthy and delicious side dish to a larger meal, or they can become a meal themselves.
Ingredients include two medium potatoes, an egg, a tablespoon of white flour, garlic, white onions and olive oil.
- Wash, peel and grate the potatoes. Use a grater with large blades to create bigger sections for the hash browns.
- Squeeze the excess moisture from the potatoes so that they fry evenly.
- Dice a small amount of onion and garlic, to taste.
- Mix the egg, potatoes, flour, garlic and onion in a bowl. Add herbs like rosemary or basil for extra flavor.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Once the oil is hot, spoon sections of the potato mixture into the oil.
- Spread the section out so that it forms a flat pancake shape. Allow it to fry until it turns golden brown and flip it over. Repeat with the other side.
Any college student can cook since it is an important yet an easy part of a student’s day. Some easy recipes for college students include salads, soups and spaghetti. Avoiding unhealthy and expensive fast food located near your vicinity can save a great amount of money. Have a health-balanced diet and enjoy cooking